The Agent API does not output image URLs

Pre-flight checklist

  • This is a Perplexity API feature request, not a Perplexity app, Comet, or web UI request.
  • I have checked whether this already exists in the docs or another forum topic.
  • I have described the developer workflow or API use case this would improve.

Feature type

  • New endpoint or API capability
  • New model, preset, or model behavior
  • New parameter or request option
  • New response field or metadata
  • SDK improvement
  • Dashboard, API key, or auth improvement
  • Billing, credits, rate limit, or usage reporting improvement
  • Docs or examples improvement
  • Other API improvement

Affected API area

  • Agent API
  • Search API
  • Sonar API
  • Embeddings API
  • SDKs
  • Dashboard, API keys, or auth
  • Billing or credits
  • Not sure

Summary

The Agent API does not output image URLs.

Problem

While client.chat.completions.create() returns image URLs,

client.responses.create() does not.

This makes it unusable for our business operations.
Do you have any plans to implement image URL output for client.responses.create()?

Proposed API behavior

Example usage


Workarounds tried

Impact

Additional context

Hello @sato-unity,

Thank you for your note. The team worked hard and added the feature to Agent API. Please try it out and let me know what you think!

Andrew

If you are migrating from Sonar to Agent API, here is the migration guide which now includes this feature - How to migrate from Sonar - Perplexity

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for the quick response and for adding the image search feature to the Agent API. I really appreciate you and the team taking the feedback into consideration and implementing it so quickly.

I’ll give it a try right away. This is exactly the functionality I was looking for.

Thanks again to you and the team for your support!

Best regards,
Sato

2026年10月3日(土) 10:02 andrewmadson-pplx <notifications@sonar1.discoursemail.com>: